23 May 2011

Natural Leaven: Day One

When I started this breadmaking lark back in January I had read about "starters" and "leavens" etc. This is where you use the natural yeast found in grains and fruit. These are mixed with flour and water and the natural yeasts multiply and ferment. This leaven is then used in your breadmaking in the place of yeast.
I recently bought Dan Lepard's The Handmade Loaf and on reading it I have decided it's time to give this whole leaven thing a go. He makes it sound very easy, hopefully it is Sharon-proof!
The instructions he gives are over 6 days so I will keep a record here, both in words and pictures, to keep you up to date with my adventure. On day 6 I should be able to use this to make my first loaf, i.e. on Saturday.

Day One:
50g water at 20C
2 rounded tsp rye flour
2rounded tsp strong white flour
2 rounded tsp currants or raisins (I have raisins)
2 rounded tsp live low-fat yoghurt
These are the ingredients needed for day one. I have them all, I will leave you for the moment while I get the ball rolling.

I'm back (about 15 minutes later, but that includes a trip to the shop around the corner).
I have mixed all the above ingredients in an airtight container. I leave it at room temperature for 24 hours. I haven't taken a piture today as there is nothing to see except a sort of greyish slop. But more tomorrow with the first picture.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, will be watching too. A loaf on day 6 might be a little hopeful, though not impossible, but you should by that day have life in your leaven and some sourness. The important thing is to keep refreshing it, day after day, until the bubbling and sour aroma develop. Somewhere in that bag of flour are the bacteria and yeast needed for your leaven. It's just a matter of finding them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the advice! I think I'm a bit over-excited by the newness of this so am hopeful of a loaf on Saturday. I'm really interested to see how it develops over the next few days and weeks and the difference it makes to my bread.

    ReplyDelete