21 March 2011

The Search for Fresh Yeast


Now that my bread making year is well under way and I have mastered the basics I decided last week that I would move on to fresh yeast. And so the question begs, where do you purchase such a thing? As I work close to Whole Foods on High Street Ken I tried there first and it was a yes. However this was on Friday when it rained all day and a 20 minute walk through the park wasn't on. Next up was Waistrose in Westfield, a sure thing you would think? But alas no. I left it at that on Friday and chose my bread of the week resigning myself to the use of dried yeast again.
My bread this week was a Raisin, Hazelnut and Shallot loaf. Although it became Sultana, Hazelnut and Onion once I had looked in the cupboard!
This was a wholemeal bread, made with 300g wholemeal flour and 200g white flour combined with 10g yeast, 10g salt and 350g water. The onion, hazelnuts and sultanas are cooked first, cooled and then added to the dough at the end of the kneading. It was a bit messy as the hazelnuts and sultanas kept escaping but I managed to tame them! It then rested for 45 minutes. Then it had to be removed from its bowl and knocked back and returned to its bowl for another 45 minutes.
In the meantime we went shopping, as you do on a beautiful sunny Saturday morning. After filling up the trolley with the necessities (and some extras!) I thought I would ask at the bakery if they stocked fresh yeast. And low and behold they did, how much did I want? I got a bit flustered and asked for 200g (this cost the princely sum of 51p) and only realised after I had it in my sticky paws that I only use 10g each time I make bread!! But I had it, thanks to Sainsbury's in Denmark Hill.
Once we got home the dough was nicely risen. I shaped it into two loaves and left it to double in size (about an hour) before baking it for 20 minutes. While they were baking my brother rang and so I had to keep a close eye on them but he was very accommadating when I had to put him on hold while I removed them! (Said I would mention you, Alan!). We polished off a loaf for lunch (it was only wee) with some smoked salmon and creme fraiche, damned fine.
I was then left with my 200g of fresh yeast and what to do with it. After some searching today I discovered that it keeps well in the fridge for months or you can freeze it. This evening I have spent a good 20 minutes dividing it up into 10g pieces, wrapping them in clingfilm and putting them in an air-tight container! I decided to keep it in the fridge and we shall see. So next weeks bread will be made with fresh yeast, very excited (I don't get out much) and we shall see the difference it makes.

No comments:

Post a Comment