14 March 2011

As Promised....


Mini Baked Alaska's! I said that I might try to make them and on Saturday night that was all I had the energy to do (I'm afraid dinner was yoghurt with cereal). I had the recipe from my previous attempt to make the normal size version, so I just did some downsizing.
Rather than using an ovenproof plate (as per instructions) I used a couple of ramekins, not traditional I know but... I broke up the chocolate sponge that I had left over and squeezed it into the base of the ramekins and then pored some Calvados over it (some extra flavour!) and left them for 15 minutes or so to soak in. As these were mini I used 1 egg white and about 45g of caster sugar to make the meringue (You don't need me to go into the details on that do you? You know all about the whisking of the egg white until you get stiff peaks and then the adding of the caster sugar in stages, whisking all the time? Yes? So no need then..).
Once the meringue was ready I put a spoon of ice cream on top of the sponge and then spread the meringue all over, making a nice swirly pattern on top.
Then it's just a matter of popping it in the pre-heated oven (200C) for about 4 minutes until the meringue is lightly browned. Oh and then there's the best part, the eating. I now need to make the normal size one, this just peaked my interest!

No comments:

Post a Comment