28 February 2011

Knitting Too











I'm in the midst of two knitting projects at the moment. One is a project just for the heck of it and the other is a commission.
I started the first one earlier in the year. I've had the pattern for a while, bought at a vintage fair. It's a Paton's "Duet in 2-ply" number 599. I'm doing the one in the top left hand corner, the lacy cap sleeve number. I found the wool on ebay, it's an Italian brand called Adriafil Avantgarde in a lovely deep rose colour. A bargain as I only needed 3 50g balls at £2.75 each! It really is worth shopping around for your wool, there are loads of online wool shops out there with lots of different brands. I do love John Lewis on Oxford Street and, of course, Liberty but they do have a limited number of brands available (especially Liberty). The wool has a lovely feel to it too which is very important in a knitted top.
The pattern is a fairly basic lace pattern but it also has a ruched thing going on, not sure which bit of the pattern makes it ruch I just do what the nice pattern tells me.
But this is on hold at the moment as I have a commission from some friends for two cushions. Well, it started as a Christmas present of a cushion cover for their new house. But then we went to John Lewis and there were so many lovely wools there they couldn't decide so I'm doing two! In different colours. I've started the green one first, in fact it's a sage really. Lovely wool and easy to knit with, it's a Rowan Cocoon. I've just done a search for it so I can show you the lovely colour but when I put in the colour code I get either a terracotta or a grey!! I wouldn't describe the wool I'm knitting with by either of those colours, it's definitely green.
I found the pattern on Ravelry, a sort of facebook for the knitter. You have to join but it's worth it for the patterns. The cushion cover is a simple pattern, stocking stitch with colums of purl breaking it up and fastened with buttons on the front. It's knitted as one piece and then fitted around your cushion, simples (as a certain Meerkat would say, sorry, sorry, couldn't help myself!).
So progress pictures above, it's definitely green isn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment