17 July 2010

Sticky Onion Jam


Darina Allen is proving to be my cookbook of choice at the moment, not sure that you have noticed! When I was leafing through it at the beginning I got to the preserves chapter and, as I love a savoury jam, I thought I would make some onion jam as a new home present for some friends I'm visiting today. I guess the worst thing about onion jam is the peeling and slicing of many onions (in this case 700g). Luckily these weren't the streaming eyes type of onions so it wasn't too painful. Once they are sliced (thinly, mind) you cook them in butter and sugar for about 30min. Then you add red wine, Creme de Cassis (this is optional but as it was sitting on my drinks trolley (!) I went for it) and Sherry vinegar. This is then cooked down for about 40mins. Darina said not to let it cook down too much and being a good girl I did what I was told. It turned out a bit runny and I had taken it off the cooker and started jarring it up (technical term) before I realised this and by then it was too late. But I tasted it and it is very good, sweet and savoury with a lovely deep flavour. I got two jars out of this quantity and a half jar for me (with some good cheese). This jam lasts 7-8 months so easy to leave it in the fridge and take it out whenever you have some good cheeses and impress your dinner party guests.

1 comment:

  1. Rachel Allen has a similar recipe... mmh... wonder where she might have got that from! Onion marmalade, she calls it - my fridge is full of it:)

    ReplyDelete