10 July 2010

Mini Victoria Sponge Mountains


My boyfriend doesn't always get to sample my cakes, I'm usually making them for someone else, so he misses out. So I thought I would make him a Victoria Sponge after my first successful foray into the classic. But when it's just two of you eating it, that's a lot of sponge (not to mention the calories) so I decided to make mini ones. Same cakeyness less caloriness, perfect. Darina Allen strikes again, it was the book I had with me (being as I was staying at his, so a limited cookbook range was available to me. I know the interwebulator is one great big cookbook but there is nothing like leafing through a book to get inspiration). So I chose Darina's fairy cake recipe, much the same as all the rest but her cooking of them was new to me. The cakes are put in the oven at 220 degrees until they start to rise and you then turn the oven down to 190 for the rest of the time (I think her timings were a bit too long (25 mins) I took them out after 20). And what you get is the traditional fairy cake with the "mountain" look, they rose really high and they stayed that way too (these would be perfect for butterfly cakes). No falling as soon as they come out of the oven which sometimes happens. Once they were cooled I took them out of their cases and cut them in half, spread the bottom with jam (raspberry this time) and cream (I know!), put the top back on and sprinkled them with icing sugar. And there you have lovely mini Victoria Sponge Mountains. A great individual dessert and you get to feel like a giant!

2 comments:

  1. Paul's not the only one who seldom gets to try your sweet treats. HINT.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm ejoying your sweet treats too much!

    ReplyDelete