21 October 2013

Technical Challenge 3: Apricot Couronne

As I mentioned in my last blog I had a flurry of technical challenges last weekend. The second of my bakes was the Apricot Couronne. As I am not doing them in order I chose this one because I fancied making a yeasty thing and happened to have all the ingredients to hand.
For me the dough wasn't a problem, it is a slightly enriched dough. I always leave my dough for 10 minutes after mixing it before I start to knead it. This comes from Dan Lepard's method, although he then only kneads for 10-15 seconds and leaves it for another 10 minutes and repeats this three times before leaving it for it's first rise. I found that just leaving it for the first 10 minutes the yeast has started it's magic and I only need to knead (!) for about 5 minutes rather than 10-15 minutes. It seems to work for me!
This dough is a bit wet as it has butter, egg and milk in it but once you start working it it becomes less sticky and more manageable. I did one stupid thing and that was to use an egg straight from the fridge!! Really?? I know better, really I do, but sometimes I'm a bit devil may care and just go ahead. It's not even that hard to warm up an egg, put it in warm water for about 10 minutes and it warms up a treat. Could I wait 10 minutes? Apparently not.... As a result the dough didn't rise very well on it's first rise but once I had added the apricot mixture and rolled, cut and twisted it, it behaved much better.
I baked it for the length of time given in the recipe and it looked and smelled like it was baked so I left it to cool. We were having it for lunch and the husband couldn't wait very long so it was still warm when we cut into it. The bit that had the most filling wasn't as well cooked as the bits that had less filling, which makes sense. It was also much better on the second day. If I make it again I would use less butter and sugar as it was a bit sickly. Was it wasted? Oh no it wasn't, every last morsel was enjoyed.


If you compare my Couronne with Paul Hollywood's you will see that his has a bigger hole in the centre. I think my dough wasn't as long as his when he rolled it, hence the bigger hole. Looking at it another way, mine had more tasty Couronne!

1 comment: