11 July 2013

The Cardies Part of the Wedding

This will be the last time I mention my wedding, honest....well it may come up again but promise it will only be in passing.
We have had the cakes bit of the wedding now for the cardies bit. I wanted to add a knitting element to the day and one of the things I decided was to knit a shawl to wear with my dress. I wanted to use cable and found a pattern on Ravelry for a beautiful shawl with a Celtic love knot cable running the length of the shawl. I chose a cream wool and began the 600 odd rows of cable. I finished it fairly quickly but it soon became obvious that it wasn't going to work. It was too small and didn't really go with the dress. So I have put it away for the moment but it will re-appear under another guise at some point (watch this space).
With the shawl a no-go I wanted some knitting to feature and after some internet surfing I came upon some knitted bunting, aha, this could be it. The pattern was very simple, stocking stitch with a garter stitch border. My dress was red so I used cream and red (from my wool stash) and knitted 18 flags so I could alternate red and cream. I then sewed them together and using duplicate stitch embellished them with SHARON + PAUL. I bought a bag of random vintage cream buttons from ebay and sewed them on to the flags, et voila.
All it cost was my time (not that long really, a few nights in front of the telly) and the buttons (about £5). It was hung on the top table at the wedding, I was very pleased with it I have to say.
Here endeth the Cakes and Cardies wedding.

No comments:

Post a Comment