25 July 2013

Soft Furnishings

We have lived in our house for almost 4 years (my husband) and almost 3 years (me) and we are slowly (very slowly) sorting out each of the rooms. You know when you move in somewhere you just make do with what you have? You think, this will do until I settle in and decide what I want.....suddenly it's 4 years later and you haven't done very much at all. That's where we are at the moment.
But the lounge room is about to have a complete makeover: new curtains (went up at the weekend), new sofa (being delivered today), new dining table (being delivered on Friday) and chairs (put together over the weekend). In a very girly way I am very excited!
Just putting up the new curtains has made all the difference. They are a wonderful 50s inspired print from Sanderson, Dandelion Clocks. As you can see the material is cream with wonderful splashes of green, grey and mustard. And this is where I sought my inspiration for the soft furnishings i.e. cushion covers. We did buy 2 cushions in the same pattern but I also wanted to knit some and the bought cushions were too expensive to be buying more than two. I bought a couple of basic cream cushions for £5.99 instead, much more cost effective.
I wanted to use the Celtic knot cable pattern that I had used on the shawl I didn't wear for my wedding (sorry, it was only a matter of time!) and discovered a simple but impactful one on Ravelry, Aran Pillow. Unfortunately it doesn't come with the cat!! I had some cream wool in my stash that I thought would work. It was a lighter weight than the pattern called for so I had to add some stitches either end to get it to the requisite 40cm but nothing too onerous. I'm not the best at adjusting patterns but something as simple as a square is hard to mess up, she says.
I finished the first cushion on Saturday, sewn up and ready for positioning on the sofa. I bought some Debbie Bliss aran wool in a green/grey colour for the other cushion cover and started that one yesterday. I think this one will knit up quicker because of the aran weight. It does seem strange to be knitting in the weather but the cushions won't make them selves. Here is a picture of it in progress.

I want to add a couple of more cushions and with that in mind I bought an off-cut of the Dandelion material from ebay, quite a sizeable piece for about £12. The idea (it is nothing more than an idea at the moment!) is to use the above-mentioned shawl as the front of the cushion cover and back it with the material. What I think I will do is sew the shawl to the material and then make the cushion cover from there. Not sure if that makes sense, in my head it does. I don't have a sewing machine so I will have to do it all by hand which makes it trickier but not impossible. More on that later. Meanwhile here is the first cushion in situ on the new sofa with her shop bought siblings, aaaah.

No comments:

Post a Comment