4 September 2011

Brioche Bread











One of my baking experiments over the summer was a brioche. I made the Colomba successfully and brioche is a similar dough, ie enriched with butter and eggs, so I figured I was half way there.
One of my acquisitions in the last couple of months was the first Ottolenghi cookbook and it has become my go-to cookbook. The savoury recipes are so good, lots of flavour and spice. They are bit phaffie but worth it. On the other hand, the phaffiness of the baking section hasn't endeared itself to me. There seems to be two steps too many in most of the recipes. Don't get me wrong, the finished product is very good, it's just the journey that is a bit over long.
Having said that, I chose the recipe for brioche from it. The one thing I would say about this particular recipe is that it only gives instructions for a stand mixer, there isn't an alternative hand method, which I found annoying. I have a stand mixer so I used it. They say follow the recipe the first time and then go off piste. The result was a loaf that tasted like brioch but had the texture of bread. Not that lovely soft, teary texture that a briche should have.
We ate it all the same because it tasted good but a brioche it was not. Next time I will find a recipe for a handmade one and see if I can succeed that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment