17 August 2010

Lamington Lovelies?


Has everyone in Cakes and Cardies land heard of the Lamington? I'm sure all my well-travelled readers will know it as an Australian confection, right? Just in case you were absent on the day the Lamington was explained they are usually squares of sponge, dipped in chocolate and rolled in coconut. Imagine my joy when a certain Australian friend of mine was having a birthday and NEEDED cake?! Lamingtons I said to myself (not out loud, of course, I'm not mad). As I was making them on a school night I didn't want the phaff of dipping squares of sponge in chocolate, I know some friend I am? Australian Woman's Weekly to the rescue, Lamington cupcakes. I figured as the recipe was from an authentic Australian source I was in safe territory, so when there was no mention of fat in the recipe, I trusted them, foolish maybe but I'm a trusting soul.
Beat 4 eggs until pale and fluffy and (a la meringues) slowly add 110g of caster sugar and fold in 2 tablespoons corn flour, 50g plain flour and 35g self-raising flour (gently, mind, to keep all the air in the mixture) Divide between your muffin cases and cook for 25 minutes in a pre-heated 180 degree oven. I did as I was told and when I took them out of the oven they looked fab, all golden and risen. I left them to cool a bit turned around to switch the oven off and when I turned back they had collapsed! Why does that happen? So many times I take a cake out of the oven and it looks perfect only for it to deflate. I'm sure I must be doing something wrong, I guess I need to do some research and experimentation, I will keep you posted.
So I had my cakes (with their craters), they then needed to be iced with the chocolate ganache (dark chocolate melted with cream) and the final addition of the dessicated coconut meant the Lamingtons were complete.
And the next day they were presented to the birthday girl and we had a taste. You know, they were fine but you definitely could tell that there wasn't any fat in them. They were a bit dry and spongy (not in the good sense of the word) but perfectly nice. I think the next time a recipe is fat less I will move on to the next website/cookbook and find one that has lots of the stuff!

No comments:

Post a Comment