18 June 2010

New Knitting Project


Just a quick one to let you know about my new knitting project. Even before finishing the stripey wavy jumper I knew what my next project would be. I am a bit like that, once I'm getting to the end of something I start looking around for the next thing. It's kind of like cheating on my current knitting project in a way! I do love starting a new project though, deciding what to do, buying the wool, avoiding doing a tension square (I know, very bad, but I just want to get started and the tension square gets in the way of the starting-a-project-gratification) and finally casting on those stitches. Once you've cast on the stitches it then becomes old hat and you start thinking, what's next? Well, it's not that bad but you know what I mean.
The new jumper is for a friend's birthday, she decided that she wanted me to knit her something and who am I to say no? One of our knitting groupers visited her grandmother recently and came away with a haul of old patterns and all the needles she will ever need. And amongst these patterns we found the one. It is a 40s twinset but I am just doing the jumper (my friend may well do the cardie later) a Paton's Beehive pattern. It calls for a 3ply wool which only seems to exist as a baby wool but we got some great advice from the haberdashery department in John Lewis and we went for a Debbie Bliss 4ply in a beautiful red. I have to say I did do the tension square for this one because being an old pattern and using different wool it was necessary. I have finished the front, one sleeve and started the second sleeve. The pattern is very easy to follow and, as I have found with old patterns, very polite and proper. For example, "until work measures 5 ins. from commencement" and "work anther sleeve in the same manner". Just lovely, you can just hear a forties housewife (Celia Johnson maybe) reading this with with perfect RP. I may just use old patterns from now on!

1 comment: