30 June 2010

Limoncello Slushy


I have turned to the drink! My friend procured a copy of the new Darina Allen book for me, Forgotten Skills of Cooking, and I got very excited. It doesn't take that much these days! One of the recipes I came across was for Limoncello and being a big fan I decided to make it. It seemed fairly straightforward but, as you know, that is never the case. So armed with my 12 lemons, vodka, sugar and sterilised bottle I began my work. The first part of the process is to put the zest of the 12 lemons in a sterilised bottle/jar with the vodka. And so we hit my first, shall we call it a hiccup? To sterilise a bottle you put it in the oven for about 15 minutes, lovely. I did just that but then after about five minutes there was a strange smell emanating from the oven (and not my oven I should say, my boyfriends new oven), I opened the door to discover that the plastic lid (I know, I know) had melted. Oh dear, boyfriend was fairly calm about this and helped remove the plastic and kindly let me use another one of his bottles (sans plastic lid this time, you see I learn quickly). Back on track, I peeled the lemons and put them in the bottle, added the vodka and put it in a cupboard to ferment for 48 hours. It was at that point that I realised my second mistake, I had put the lemon zest in a bottle, a small necked bottle. How was I going to get them out? I wasn't, another bottle down the drain, thank God for Ikea! This didn't effect the making of the Limoncello as I just had to drain the vodka out of the bottle after the 48 hours and mix it with an already prepared sugar syrup. I did, of course, have to put it in another bottle (we're up to three now, but that's it honest). Then that's it, apart from the tast test (I'm not that silly). It tasted good. I then popped it in the freezer, which is where I always store my Limoncello (I always get my brother to bring over a bottle when he comes from Italy. He lives there, I don't make him go there just to get me the Limoncello!). And now we get to the slushy bit. My friend offered me a Limoncello the other night and when she took it out of the freezer it had almost completely frozen. Usually alcohol is fine in the freezer, it just gets a bit viscous, but I guess the sugar syrup was the culprit. Nor defeated we ploughed on and had a lovely (couple) of glasses that were reminiscent of a slush puppy, not a bad thing in this heat.

1 comment:

  1. so now you owe me two bottles, some Limoncello and a Victoria sponge cake xx

    ReplyDelete