11 October 2013

Black Pepper Rye and Band of Bakers

I watched the Paul Hollywood Bread programme earlier this year (I enjoyed it, good recipes) and in one of the episodes he visited a South East London baking group, Band of Bakers. It was started by two South East Londoners (Naomi and Gemma) and is about people who love to bake getting together and trying each others bakes. Interesting, I thought, at the time and then it went out of my head.
When I was made redundant and started to think about baking a bit more I remembered them and put myself on the email list. The first event was quite soon after I contacted them and I couldn't make it. Then I got an email about an event with Dan Lepard! Being a fan I was excited. The event was to help publicise the publication of Short and Sweet in the Netherlands. They wanted members to make recipes from the book. We had to submit our two favourite recipes and then Band of Bakers chose which bakes would make the cut for the event. I chose the Black Pepper Rye Bread (have made it twice before and loved it) and the Espresso and Brazil Nut Cake (never made it but wanted to!). Given Dan Lepard's reputation I didn't have a lot of confidence that I would make the cut. But a week or so later the email came through, I was in! With the Black Pepper Rye, I was very excited and also filled with trepidation. Making Dan Lepard's bread and having him taste it, maybe!
The day came around and I made the bread as per instructions in Short and Sweet and the bread Gods were with me as it turned out the best I have ever made it, it rose beautifully and was a very handsome loaf. Not being sure about the etiquette of bake club I turned up early (the event was held in a local Nunhead cafe the wonderful Bambuni) without a plate to display my bread or a knife to cut it! Happily the lovely Band of Bakers ladies came to the rescue with a bread board.


As everyone arrived there were amazing bakes from about 30 people, mostly cakes but there were a few savoury items too. All looked amazingly professional.
We then waited for the guest of honour. Dan arrived with five Dutch food journalists, his Dutch publicist and his husband. He was lovely, introduced himself to everyone and was overwhelmed by the array of bakes from the book. Then we tucked in! It all tasted as good as it looked and I got to take home a goody lunchbox! Everyone was very complementary about my bread, all the jornalists loved it and one even took a photo of me with the bread! Who knows I may turn up in a Dutch food magazine.... But the highlight of the night was when Dan's partner came over to me and said that the bread was exactly the same as when Dan makes it and that it was "amazing", his word. I have to say I felt very flattered, I think I even blushed!!
So, a great success and I met some lovely people who love to bake. Hopefully I will be able to go to future events.

No comments:

Post a Comment